TL;Dr In the Travelpro vs Samsonite battle, there is no clear winner, but each brand has a model that stands out in a specific category type:
Best Hardside luggage:
- Samsonite Omni PC Spinner (2 set)
- Samsonite Silhouette Xv Hardside
- Travelpro Maxlite 4 Hardside Spinner
- Travelpro Maxlige 4 (premium model)
Best softside luggage:
Best Garment bag:
Today, the luggage industry has grown into a multi-billion dollar industry with a ton of options. However, if you’ve done your research, you’ve most likely come across brands like Travelpro and Samsonite.
These two brands are known for their excellent luggage solutions and easily stand out from the crowd.
But which one should you pick? Travel pro or Samsonite?
Travelpro vs Samsonite: What’s better?
Both Samsonite and Travelpro are almost similar in many ways, but here’s a table that differentiates the two based on the category:
So what’s better?
Well, this may be based on personal preference—but I believe that TravelPro offers better value for money and offers more features on the whole.
Anyways, if you’re interested in the nitty-gritty, I recommend reading on.
In this article, I cover the best TravelPro and Samsonite luggage and breakdown what’s different among the two.
So let’s get started!
TravelPro Luggage Review 2019
Travel pro is the new kid in town but has managed to capture everyone’s attention with its exceptional products that check ‘A’ in every department.
Top products from Travelpro include:
1. Hardside: Travelpro Maxlite 4
This luggage series features one of Travelpros’ lightest suitcases. What’s more, all the models are made from top-notch materials that work great towards the durability.
Type: 2-piece, 3 pieces, carry-on, checked-large, medium, international carry-on
- 4-wheel spinners
- Expandable compartments
- Lightweight body
- Adjustable handles
2. Soft-side: Travelpro Maxlite 4
3. TravelPro Platinum Magna 2
A great entry-level model from travel pro that’s perfect for budget travelers looking for a functional and organized suitcase.
Type: 25” Spinner Suitcase
Key features of a TravelPro product:
- Ultralight body made from aluminum frames
- Great internal organization
- Good functional components
4. Premium: Travelpro Premium Maxlite 4
A more premium version of the Travelpro luggage that features some of the best features from this luggage brand (think: power bank, charging functionality, etc.).
Type: 21” carry-on suitcase cum spinner
- Expandable body with external USB port & power bank
- Precision glide system
- TSA friendly body
- Lifetime warranty
Samsonite Luggage Review 2019
Samsonite is one of the most popular luggage brands. It’s no surprise they won the best suitcase award on Tripadvisor in 2016.
Samsonite luggage is known for its excellent make, innovative design and an extensive set of features in the functionality department. What’s more, they are priced quite low and in the budget for even the most budget travelers.
The top 3 brands from samsonite include:
An ultra light samsonite luggage mode that’s well-balanced with exceptional features.
Type: hardside luggage
Key features of the Samsonite Silhouette XV Spinner
- Delux cushioning and rubber seals
- Extremely durable exterior body
- Affordable pricing
- Lifetime warranty
- Good internal organization
A budget hardside luggage that features durable and lightweight body. It is also scratch-proof so will not have
Type: Harside luggage with spinner wheels, 3-piece, carry-on, checked
- 100% polycarbonate body that’s ultralightweight and durable
- Polyester lining for extra protection
- Scratch resistant body
- 360 spinner wheels
- TSA compatible lock system
3. Luggage set Samsonite Winfield 2
One of the most popular hardside models from Samsonite because of its well-balanced set of features in the functionality department combined with top-notch materials.
Type: Hardside 3-piece Set, Carry-on, Checked-large, Checked-medium
- 360 spinner wheels for easy maneuvering
- TSA locking system
- Telescoping handle with push button
Travelpro vs Samsonite: Detailed comparison
To give you a better idea on how the TravelPro and Samsonite are different, I’ve reviewed both the luggage brands based on a few key features:
1. Luggage Size
Both Travelpro and samsonite come in similar sizing options being:
- 20-21 inch carry-on model
- 24-25 inch mid-size model for a one person one week travel
- 28-29 inch large size for longer trips or two people.
2. Make, Construction and weight
I didn’t want to make a separate section for each of these, so I decided to club it into one. This refers to the overall suitcase construction and how it is made.
Ideally, you want your suitcase to be made from long-lasting, durable materials and constructed to withstand extreme conditions.
|The frames of Travelpro bags are made from steel wire construction, which is great for holding the bag in shape and keeping it lightweight.||Samsonite makes super-light hard cases like the Omni, Cosmolite, and Firelight series.|
After all, your luggage would be subject to harsh conditions while traveling, and you want to be prepared for the worst.
For most people, price is a very important part of any purchase. Especially in luggage as you don’t want to spend money on something that doesn’t fit your needs and have to return it in the future.
Now, I can’t compare the two models on price as both have low and high budget options, so here’s a list of the cheapest/premium options:
Cheapest Travelpro and Samsonite models:
- Travelpro Maxlite 5
- Samsonite Omni
Premium Travelpro and Samsonite models:
- Samsonite Silhouette
- Travel Pro Magna 2
4. Other Notable features:
Now, both Travelpro and Samsonite have identical features, so it’s hard to differentiate them, but here’s a list of notable features common to the two brands:
- Big roomy compartments
- Internal and external pockets for extra packing (except on hardside)
- TSA friendly locks
- 4-wheel capabilities
- Travel pro has some different shaped options like totes, suiters whereas Samsonite has unique shapes like silhouette models
- Samsonite has better functional components like 8 position telescopic handles, WetPak, etc.
Travelpro vs samsonite: What’s the better pick?
To be frank, both the brands make top-notch luggage, so it really doesn’t matter.
But if you really want a binary answer, here are a few factors that would make it easy:
- Price: Both are equal, with the low price options being Omine and Maxlite 4
- Weight: Both are equal, with both Travelpro and samsonite offering superlight luggage options.
- Features & comfort: Both are equal with the Samsonite silhouette offering better handles and pockets. Magna 2, on the other hand, offers better accessibility and protection.
Both the models are just fine. Pick either, and you won’t go wrong.